Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Diving into fall and Personal Space

Hello all!

PHEW! What a week! Giles is a-buzz with activity in October. Social work in the school is a complex dance, and that feels true now more than ever. Kids are getting a hang on what school is again, and the staff is teaching new material, tracking progress, intervening where needed and stepping back to see where the chips fall. Also it feels like every day there is a new after school activity or program. Student council, volleyball, soccer, band and chorus all started in the past week, and I swear, every child in the school is involved in all five activities.

I am implementing a new conflict resolution program, pushing in to the classroom, building the skills of students on my caseload and meeting with students as they are referred. It's heating up in a big, big way, but I am up to the challenge!

Last week I had the chance to push in to a class and do a quick workshop with second graders about personal space. A couple students seem to be having problems keeping their hands to themselves, and we (their teacher and I) thought it would make sense to take extra time out of the day to talk about why personal space is important. We read a great book, Personal Space Camp, and I used activities created by this wonderful special education teacher who sells her stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers. The story stars Louis, a boy who is struggling with controlling his body in the classroom and around the school. With the help of his teacher and Principal Goodkid, Louis learns about the importance of personal space and respect. If you are interested, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the book. The activities are lovely but you will probably want to create something that will work with your students and their needs in particular.

I am starting tomorrow with the anti-bullying programming I mentioned last week. I will reflect on that on Monday. For now, signing off.

-Ms. OJ

No comments:

Post a Comment