Monday, October 12, 2015

October is National Bullying Prevention Month!

This October, I am more keenly aware than ever that we are in the midst of bullying prevention month. As a first year school social worker, I am trying to implement new strategies while sticking to what I have time to accomplish.

Bullying happens all over, and as an adult who works in an elementary school, I am committed to making sure that every child I meet feels safe and supported. At  Giles, the school where I work, we have the wonderful advantage of two social workers, meaning that we are able to really support our students in ways that they need it most. I will be going into classrooms for the 1st through 5th graders and leading discussion and activities that are aimed at preventing bullying. Pretty much everything I will be doing came from the PACER National Bullying Prevention Center website. If you are thinking about doing work like this with your own children or in your school, this site will go a long way in providing you with some ideas. Additionally, the PACER Center itself is a great resource for parents of children with disabilities.

In the next couple of weeks, I will post some pictures and reflections about the various activities we do to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Fingers crossed that it all works out beautifully!

-Ms. OJ


No comments:

Post a Comment